Welcome to the BME Network area of our website. Here you will find information to help you if you want to:
- Start a network;
- Find advice on sustaining existing networks;
- Access information from events focused on developing networks;
- Locate relevant documents;
- Find contact details for those who can support you with developing networks.
Find contacts for networks across the east of England at the bottom of this page
Why have a BME Network for staff?
- To share knowledge and experience
- To improve working lives of staff
- To provide a forum to highlight common workplace issues for the organisation to address
- To assist with identifying development needs
- Provide a forum for linking into other staff network groups
- To influence and support organisations’ policy and practice
- To celebrate achievements.
What makes a successful BME network?
Here is a checklist from the NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement for NHS organisations wanting to create a BME network. The points have been drawn together from a workshop around developing BME networks, and are to assist individuals and organisations in developing and sustaining networks. The list is not exhaustive. To develop a successful BME network you are likely to need:
- A robust business and action plan
- Senior management support – a ‘champion’
- Clear reporting lines for the group – who will take forward items raised by the network for action?
- Effective leadership of the network – clear, identified, sustained
- Dedicated resources – both financial and man hours
- Terms of reference (TOR)
- Core skills training available to key members – chair, treasurer, minute taker
- The network to have a mission statement
- To develop a communication and marketing plan
- To share good practice and celebrate success
- To ensure the network is inclusive
- To have clarity on how success of the network will be measured
- To ensure the development of networks is reflected in Equality & Diversity and HR strategies
- To establish inter-organisational network links.
For further information on BME Networks contact [email protected]
Click on the link to download a copy of a report from the Royal College of Nursing on Releasing the Potential within BME Networks.
BME networks in east of England
For information and contacts for your area please contact [email protected]