The strong relationship between leadership capability and performance is well documented. Good leadership leads to a good organisational climate and good organisational climates lead, via improved staff engagement, to sustainable, high performing cultures.
Supporting new standards for board members
NHS England has developed a Fit and Proper Person Test (FPPT) framework for board members in response to recommendations made in The Kark Review. This also takes into account the requirements of the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in relation to directors being fit and proper for their roles.
To support this the NHS has published a framework and supporting resources to help senior board members strengthen board governance, boost leadership and improve patient safety.
Compassionate, Inclusive Boards
Compassionate and inclusive cultures underpin highly effective boards. Several East of England NHS Trusts have participated within the Culture and Leadership Programme , an organisational development approach that generates tailored leadership strategies for developing compassionate, inclusive and collective leadership and deliver culture change.
Our Leadership Way will set out 6 core principles for compassionate and inclusive behaviours expected of leaders at all levels. The Leadership Competency Framework is aimed at those individuals currently operating at board level or aspiring to board level positions and has been developed around six core competency domains. Further information on these helpful tools will be available in Autumn 2021.
An additional helpful tool for both individual Board Members and as a Board is a 360 Feedback against the NHS Healthcare Leadership Model to better understand the strengths, dynamics and areas for development.
Integrated Care Systems
21st Century Public Sector Leadership is changing, and leaders and boards are required to form collaborative partnerships within Integrated Care Systems, adopting collective responsibilities and accountabilities to jointly improve outcomes for local communities. Our System Leadership resources, learning opportunities and events will help equip leaders at all levels, teams and organisations to develop a new cadre of pan-organisation and sector leadership behaviours, skills and competencies .
Our menu of offers to support ICS development provide an overview of the support available within the East of England.
Click here to see the EoE Roadmap – our way, one workforce (a range of support and development options)
- NHS Healthcare Leadership Model
- The NHS England » Well-led framework sets out how providers should carry out developmental reviews of their leadership and governance.
- Good Governance Institute Clinical Governance Maturity Matrix New clinical governance maturity matrix | News | GGI | Good Governance (good-governance.org.uk)
- Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator of health and adult social care About us – Care Quality Commission (cqc.org.uk)
- A core framework for Integrated Care Board Development NHS-LA-ICS-Board-Development-eBook-2022.pdf (leadershipacademy.nhs.uk)
- NHS Providers Board Development Board development – NHS Providers
- The NHS Healthy Board – principles for Good Governance NHSLeadership-HealthyNHSBoard-2013.pdf (leadershipacademy.nhs.uk)