Mentoring has taken a prominent position within the NHS People plan and its role is widely recognised as an important pillar of development. NHS Trusts are keen to develop mentors in every level of the organisation and are taking steps to develop mentoring networks working within and across organisations and systems.
Individuals are also seeking to access this type of developmental support to enhance their learning and growth at various stages of their working lives and careers.
This program is specifically targeted at new and developing mentors. If you are a more experienced mentor, you may choose to join the course to ‘sharpen your saw’ knowing this isn’t an advanced course.
So, are you:
Thinking of becoming a mentor because:
- you’ve just stepped off a programme like ‘Ready Now’?
- you’ve just stepped off a programme like ‘DIPP’?
- you’ve just stepped off a programme like ‘Stepping up’?
- you’re thinking of taking part in ‘Ready Now’, ‘Dipp’ or ‘Stepping up’?
- or one of the NHSLA’s other prestigious programmes?
- you’re thinking of taking part in reverse mentoring?
- you think you’d be a great mentor and simply want to give it a go?
- you’re a mentor looking to top up your skills
- you’re a mentor on mentor.net, yet, lacking mentees
…then our two-part Mentoring Skills Programme is for you!
The sessions will be interactive, bring you up to date with current thinking and will afford you the opportunity to reflect on your practice as a mentor, whilst gaining or topping up your skills in key areas of mentorship so you can Mentor with confidence and make a real difference!
Aims & Learning objectives:
You will need to attend a part A and part B session (not necessarily simultaneously, yet in order) to gain your certificate of attendance. Please see more information below for each session, and the dates. Please click on the date for the sessions you’d like to sign up for, to be taken through to the dedicated booking page.
Session A will:
- Look at the different ‘Schools’ of mentoring, considering the similarities and differences in each
- Look at the definition, skills and attitudes of being a mentor (i.e. the job description of a mentor)
- Discuss the co creation of the mentoring contract
- Think about how to co create a partnership where power differentials are redressed to enable the right work to take place
- Explore psychological safety and what that means in mentoring relationships
In between Session A&B
You will be asked to seek out a mentoring style conversation to enable you to bring your lived experience back to the virtual training room for sharing and reflective learning (only themes will be worked with, no confidential data).
Session B will:
- Build key skills and competencies of being a great mentor including
- Listening skills
- Questioning skills
- Moving to action & accountability
- Work on the reflective practice of being a mentor
- Explore Ethical practice
Impact of the mentoring course:
- You will confidently set up strong mentoring partnerships
- You will deliver your mentoring services with a strong ethical compass
- Your focus will be on your mentee and their needs
- You will know where and how to see supervision for your services
- The system will be able to draw upon mentors that can demonstrate that the understand and deliver knowing the individual, team, organisational and system impacts as set out in the People plan
Book your place here!
Part A Sessions
- Thursday 6th October – 13.00-16.00 (click here to sign up)
- Tuesday 1st November – 09.00–12.00 (click here to sign up)
- Wednesday 11th January – 13.00-16.00
- Thursday 2nd February – 09.00 – 12.00
Part B Sessions
- Tuesday 1st November – 13.00-16.00
- Tuesday 6th December – 09.00 -12.00
- Thursday 2nd February – 13.00-16.00
- Friday 3rd February – 09.00-12.00
- You will need a webcam and a headset to fully participate.
- The computer will need to have the sound function on so you can hear and speak at the webinar.
- You will need to be connected to the internet for the duration of the webinar.
- We will send an email with details of instructions for the day to all participants, prior to the date.
- Please note: this webinar may be recorded.
Questions about this event?
Organiser : Leadership and Lifelong Learning Team
Email: [email protected]
Online Booking Form
*Complete the questionnaire to book your space.
*Please add this event to your calendar.
*You might receive a "ticket" confirming your booking.
*You will receive an email from [email protected] containing the joining instructions 7-14 days before the session and then again 1-2 days before.
If you are having issues completing the RSVP section (online booking) please try using a different device (such as mobile phone, tablet, laptop) or platform (such as Chrome, Explorer).
Please complete the questionnaire. You might receive a "ticket" confirming your booking on the waiting list. If a space becomes available, you will receive an email from [email protected] containing joining instructions before the session.