We know that coaching is very useful in supporting leadership development and change management. It is a method of developing an individual’s capabilities using questioning techniques that enable the individual to become more self-aware, resilient, and confident.
NEW! Building a Coaching Culture Programme
About the programme
Aimed at those in senior leadership roles and senior coaching champions, Building a Coaching Culture provides an excellent introduction for those new to coaching and development for those with experience to acquire the skills and knowledge to build a coaching culture in your organisation. The best coaching is future focussed and optimistic; people need to stop focusing on the problem and encourage those they coach to be exploring the questions related to that, which moves them forward in a conversation, offering support and challenge at the same time. The programme will help shape the culture of your team and across your organisation so that colleagues feel more heard and are even better equipped to come up with great solutions to workplace situations. The experiential learning and practical skills of this programme will support you in having conversations that facilitate colleagues to think well so that they feel competent and empowered to grow. Key benefits include building confidence to lead inclusively through meaningful conversations with diverse groups, building a coaching culture to support the development of high-performing teams, and equipping you with the coaching skills to be an effective and compassionate leader.
What will be covered?
This 30-hour development programme, run over the course of 10 weeks, incorporates eight live facilitated sessions (20 hrs) delivered virtually via Zoom and associated self-directed video learning sessions (10 hrs), together with online access to learning resources throughout.
Live week 1 – Introductions & ground rules
Live week 2 – Practice in small groups
Live week 3 – Listening and questioning
Live week 4 – Practice in small groups
Live week 5 – Coaching systems and practice
Live week 6 – Applying coaching at work
Live week 7 – Process questions and practice
Live week 8 – Practice in small groups
Video learning sessions are undertaken on a self-directed basis in between live sessions to support your ongoing learning and development throughout the programme.
Cohort dates and times
- Session 1 – 27/01/2023 13:30-16:30
- Session 2 – 03/02/2023 13:30-15:30
- Session 3 – 10/02/2023 13:30-15:30
- Session 4 – 17/02/2023 13:30-15:30
- Session 5 – 03/03/2023 13:30-16:30
- Session 6 – 10/03/2023 13:30-16:30
- Session 7 – 17/03/2023 13:30-15:30
- Session 8 – 24/03/2023 13:30-16:30
Please note that you will need to be available to attend all live sessions 1-8 throughout the programme and have access to the use of the Zoom platform to facilitate your participation.
Who is this programme for?
The NHS Leadership Academy provides leadership development for people of all backgrounds and experiences across health and care.
This programme is suitable for those working in senior leadership roles and senior coaching champions within health and care.
Benefits of the programme
Participation in the programme will enable you to:
- consider personal leadership style and challenges
- improve productivity and performance
- strengthen manager/employee relationships
- understand and lead change
- explore collaboration and system working
- have the headspace to work through challenges and opportunities related to your leadership role
- reflect on and develop the collaborative, compassionate and inclusive leadership skills that are key to success
- increase personal insight, enabling you to build your confidence, build on your talents and play to your strengths
- increase understanding of personal resilience and how to deepen it.
About the facilitator/s
The Building a Coaching Culture programme will be facilitated by the 3D Coaching team:
3D Coaching has been delivering coaching skills training since 2003. All our trainers are working coaches, and we teach you the least you need to know to be able to coach well.
In 2020, the material drawn on to support the delivery of this programme was published by McGraw Hill as ‘Simplifying Coaching’ and is recognised around the world as a core text for coaching at work and coaching professionals.
What previous participants say
“It doesn’t have to be perfect. It doesn’t have to be an all-or-nothing thing. It’s an incremental approach and [you] can start to introduce the coaching approach into your conversations in lots of different ways. And it doesn’t have to be that that whole conversation is a coaching one, but that you are using elements of what we are learning. It’s part of our toolkit now and making us think differently about how we might have some of our conversations.”
“This course seemed unique in its focus on simplicity and practice, with regular feedback – instead of coming out of it thinking with practice this will be really useful, but then forgetting to practice to embed it. I am already using it, and it is becoming second nature to me.”
“Definitely do less. To achieve more. Because it doesn’t make you a worse manager. It actually makes you a better manager”
Listen to how physio Ben Jeeves is using a coaching style in his work with patients.
How to secure a place on the programme?
The programme is currently full
The following offers are aimed at leaders and managers at all levels across EoE health and system partner organisations. Whether you are an aspiring manager, would like to re-fresh your skillset, or are new to a formal leadership role these sessions will expand your coaching abilities as a leader and manager through taking part in these offers.
Introduction to coaching Skills for Managers – Facilitated by Dean Byron. The aim of this workshop is to give managers simple tools and thoughts that will help them adopt a coaching approach to managing their people. Within this workshop we look to make the art of coaching simple and accessible for managers, but also relevant to the life of a manager. This is not a coaching course – it is a manager development course that looks at coaching.
- Sessions are currently full
Leader as Coach Programme
This programme is available to all leaders and managers across our EoE systems, and will develop:
- An understanding of the use and impact of different leadership styles on conversations, motivation and performance
- The business case for a coaching style through sharing evidence and research demonstrating the impact of this way of holding conversations on employee engagement, development and wellbeing
- Generative listening skills
- Insightful questioning skills
- The range of conversational coaching approaches (directive and non-directive) a Leader can take in a coaching style conversation to maximise outcomes
- Comfort with the utilisation of a coaching conversation model and practice in holding short, impactful everyday conversations with colleagues
- Developmental and behavioural feedback skills
- The use of challenge in performance and development conversations
- Psychological safety and trust within relationships with team members
- Strong expectation setting conversations with team members.
Programme currently full.